Monday, August 20, 2007

K is for Kelly Green!!

I had a pretty hard time coming up with words that start with "K". But, this morning, I thought that maybe I'd talk about the color combo that was a staple in my wardrobe in the 1980's. Yep. Pink and kelly green. My favorite outfit was a kelly green "Izod" type shirt (with the collar flipped up, of course) that was worn underneath a pink oxford cloth shirt. Tied around my neck were the sleeves of a kelly green crewneck sweater. I think a pair of navy blue Chino's completed the ensemble. Oh, I was a vision in preppiness!

Somehow, I managed to look hip and cool (or so I believed) with my K-mart clothes and outfits lovingly sewn by my mom in a sea of doctor's and lawyer's children dressed in real Izod shirts and Calvin Klein jeans. Somehow, I was never really made fun of (unless you count the time when I tried out for cheerleading and the dress I changed out of and left in the locker room was stolen. But, I digress....) and actually had some really good friends, though not necessarily the most popular kids, despite my parents' back-to-school clothing budget.

My children don't wear K-mart clothes, but happily sport numerous garage-sale, eBay and consignment store finds. People are amazed when I tell them that's where I shop for their wardrobe each year. "They always look so cute", they gush. A happy, frugal-mom moment. I'm grateful for a mom who always taught me that I was beautiful no matter where my clothes came from. I hope I can do that for my daughter as well.

5 comments:

ali cross said...

Oh my, you sure were preppy! Your little word picture cracked me up - I could totally picture it!

Tristi Pinkston said...

How great that you can dress your kids cute without spending a whole lot -- and you're passing that skill on as well. There's no need to plop down hundreds on a new outfit.

Stephanie Humphreys said...

I won't plop hundreds for kids clothes down, because they grow out of them or wear them out before we get our money's worth out them.

Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen said...

What a wise woman you are! And thanks for turning "Hand-me-downs" into something cool.

ali cross said...

Oh Anne! You've been sloooowwwwww lately! Can I help? I've tagged you over at my blog - a little reading game. Hope you can play!