Pretty much a non-update still, but that's ok. When I called this morning, they said they were able to get him onto the hypothermia protocol well within the window of time that they needed to. They did the heart catheterization thing to find the blockage and repair it with a stent. They did find that his lungs were absolutely full of fluid and said that when the heart is compromised like during a heart attack, you are more succeptible to pneumonia. So, they are treating it like MRSA (methyl resistant staphylococcus aureus---the really, really nasty bacteria that's hard to treat) and hitting it with the toughest antibiotics they've got.
So, after the cath lab procedure, they sedated him and gave him something to paralyze him so that he wouldn't shiver during the hypothermia protocol. The way they do it at this hospital is to put chilled fluid directly into his veins. His body temperature was lowered to 33 degrees celsius within a short period of time. The cooled state of the body buys the organs extra time to heal from being deprived from oxygen. They paralyze him to keep him from shivering because shivering raises the body temperature.
After he has been "cold" for 24 hours, they will begin to try to wake him. This process should start about 4am Thursday morning. If they can bring him out of unconsciousness, he will likely start responding about 4 hours later, I believe.
He got a priesthood blessing last night that blessed him with the strength to deal with the ordeal. Through this blessing we were all also blessed with strength and comfort.
So, that's it for now. I'll update as soon as I know more. Thank you so much for your prayers. They have really, really helped. I feel calm and comforted right now. A bit worried because I'm not sure how this will turn out, but I'm not freaking out outright just now. :)
If you could not mention it on my FB wall for now, that would be great.
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Dad Update...
Posted by
Anne
at
1:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment