Sunday, November 04, 2007

Q is for.....Quilt!

I married a Utah boy and unbeknownst to me, because of this, I'd learn how to quilt. Not just tying a quilt, but real, stitch-around-the-edge-of-a-pattern quilting. My future in-laws still lived in the LDS ward (congregation) where my husband-to-be grew up. About 4 months before we were to be married, my mother-in-law told me to go pick out some fabric for a quilt and to mark it where I'd like it to be stitched. I chose a lovely rose pattern and every Tuesday morning for about 2 months, I'd travel an hour from home to quilt with the ladies that knew my husband since he was a little boy. Now, I understand that it wasn't real, real quilting--as in we didn't piece together material in a sunburst or log cabin pattern (someday I'd like to learn that!). But, it was real stitching, tiny stitches in a room full of women who were 30, 40, even 50 years into their marriages and me---so happy to reap the benefit of their advice and experiences.

No comments: