Saturday, November 03, 2007

N is for.....Newborns

Sigh. It's been 8 years and now I can look back on my twins' newborn days with a smile on my face! I can giggle with my husband about the fact that our 2nd night home with them, after we put them down to sleep, we both fell into our bed and cried. We cried wondering how we were going to do this--to take care of them. Two at a time! We wondered how we were going to "teach them all that they must do" (from "I Am a Child of God", The Children's Songbook). Could we do it? Why in the world did Heavenly Father trust us with these two beautiful little spirits?

We did it though. We just buckled down and did it.

Here's a snapshot into my day and night with our newborns. We'd put them down about 10pm and go to bed. At about 1am, J would wake up. Bill changed him and brought him out to me to nurse. Then he woke up C, changed her and brought her out to me to nurse as well. (Yay for big, huge nursing pillows! Well, it was more of a foam shelf actually, but hey. It worked!) Then, he fell asleep on the couch. I whispered loudly when one child was finished and he'd take that one and put it in the crib and went back to bed. When the other was done, I'd take that one back to the crib. I slept until Bill had to wake up for work at 4:30, and we'd do the same thing. Only, instead of going back to sleep on the couch, he'd make me fried eggs and toast and give me a big, ol' glass of apple juice. Then, off to work he'd go and I was there to fend for myself until he came home.

Those first 3 months were pretty much a haze, but we got through it somehow!

2 comments:

Hendrick Family said...

I am DESPERATE to hear from people with twins right now.

My husband and I just got a call from our adoption agency asking us to pray about adopting twin girls.

We were floored.

We have three boys and this entire time, although I have said, it didn't matter what sex the child was, of course, I was thinking another boy.

And now...

twin girls?

There are pieces in me that thinks, "how neat...twins." And then, there's an enormous chunk of me that says, "how could we possibly raise twins?" That seems crazy!

Will you email me?

We are praying this weekend, and then giving the agency an answer on Monday.

My husband has asked that I find some people with twins and ask them to give us a realistic view of what this is like. We have only raised SINGLES.

heather@lhbc.net

Thank you!

Heather

_ said...

Boy does this bring back memories. We have 8 yr old twin boys and what you described was pretty much our routine at the beginning. I can remember thinking how in the world will we be able to take care of these two (& we already had 3) but through the Grace of God we did. Thanks for bringing back such wonderful memories!