I recently had a conversation about prom dresses with my nieces, one of whom will be 16 in March. I talked about my prom dresses and promised to find them and bring them over to show them. What a hoot that was! Oh, the memories. My first dress was a long burgundy number. I wore it to Homecoming Dance, which is a formal dance where I grew up. It was not only my first prom, but it was my first date. The evening was going quite well. We sat at a table drinking our punch and visited with friends. We decided to dance, so he, being the dashing gentleman that he was, pulled out the chair from behind me. I knew he was doing this, but what I didn't realize was how far he had pulled the chair out. You see, my dress had become stuck under the leg of the chair and I stepped back a bit to sit back down to free my dress. But, WHOOPS! The chair wasn't there and I, holding a cup of punch still, fell right on my bottom, spilling the punch down the front of my dress. But, I improvised and switched the bow from the back to the front. It covered the stain nicely. Oh, and atBYU , I used that same dress for Preference. I altered it a bit to make it shorter by gathering it up along the side seams and pinning it.
My next prom was a spring prom. My mom made this beautiful mauve dress out of watered taffeta (moray taffeta?). It had a ruffle that when from the center of a sweetheart neckline to two huge rosettes on each shoulder. In the back, a 8" stand up ruffle went across the back and ended up in two more huge rosettes on each shoulder. It was gorgeous. I don't remember much about that date, or that prom however. But I had a gorgeous dress!
The third dress I had in that bag was a pale aqua dress that I wore as a bridesmaid. It had a scooped neck and bell-like sleeves.
It was fun to reminisce about those dresses and even more fun to know that I actually fit into something that small at one time!
Sunday, November 04, 2007
P is for.....Prom Dresses!
Posted by
Anne
at
4:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment