Monday, July 30, 2007

Mid-life Crisis?

Well, I did it. I took the first step to changing careers and becoming a teacher: I turned in my application for Alternative Routes to Licensing to the state office of education. I found out that with my bachelor degree in zoology, I can apply to get my teaching license after substitute-teaching for a couple of years. The first step is for them to review my transcript to see if I have sufficient classes and grades to pursue this route. That's the scary part. But, it's done. It's been turned in and we'll see what comes of it. If I could do this, it would be the first time I'd be actually doing something close to using my degree in about 13 years. When I first graduated, I taught biology and microbiogy labs at the local community colleges. I loved it. But, because it wasn't a benefitted position, I had to find something else.

The next step is to turn in my application for substitute teaching to the local school district. Then, start subbing. I would love to teach jr. high or high school science classes.

I've felt an urgency to get this done since about March of this year--especially starting getting in my substitute teaching application in.

If you're reading this blog, and you're the praying type, would you mind saying one for me? Thanks :o)

5 comments:

Denise said...

Hey, that's pretty cool. I didn't know you had to do sub teaching to get your certificate. I thought it was a separate year-long program. Or maybe it's both? I've thought about doing that when the kids are all in school, so I'll be watching you!

Anne said...

Actually, I'm not 100% sure. What you said sounds right, but I was thinking that by subbing, I could get a foot in the door, and it's something I could do while keeping my current job, as subbing where I live only pays $9/hour. I think eventually I'll need to do a year of full-time teaching though.

Watch away....I'll keep you posted!! :D

{krista} said...

What an awesome degree to have! I used to think when I was a kid I'd become a zoologist. I thought all it took to become a teacher (at least here it seems) is to get a teaching degree and do some student teaching which they usually do right before graduation. Hmmm... I dunno. Good luck with it, Anne... I'll be rooting for you!

Anne said...

Thanks! Normally, that's all it takes--a teaching degree. But, I didn't think I wanted to be a teacher while I was in college--I was trying to be a physician assistant (never made it that far though). So, I'm so glad that there's this option for those of us who change their minds, lol. Thanks for rooting for me, Kris! I need it!!!

ali cross said...

Anne, that's so wonderful! Good luck to you and I'll definitely be praying for you!

Keep us posted!