Thursday, March 08, 2007

Do I look fat?

I was wondering when I was going to get that question!

My beautiful 7 year-old daughter, C, asked me that very question while she was taking a shower yesterday.

C: "Do I look fat?"
Me: (Thinking someone from school told her...) "Ummmm....well...did someone tell you looked fat?"
C: "Yeah, J did." (Her own brother told her that???)
Me: "Well, um....your tummy pokes out a bit, but I wouldn't call it fat. But the way we can make sure it's the right size is to make sure you run around lots and lots, and to choose healthy foods instead of junk foods."
C: "I chose a granola bar and milk for dessert today!"
Me: "I noticed that! That was a great choice!"
C: "I'll only ask for ice cream once and a while."
Me: "That sounds like a perfect idea."

So, I leave C to her shower and go into the bedroom where J is reading to Daddy:

Me: "Did you tell C that she was fat?"
J: "Um...yeah. But she made me!"
Me: "What do you mean, 'made you'?"
J: "She asked me if she was, and I told her 'Yes'."
("Snort, snicker, giggle", says dear husband in the background, knowing that this is the first lesson on women that his son will receive....)
J: "Why is Daddy laughing at me?"
Me: "He's not laughing at you, sweetie. He just thinks it's funny, because all men get into trouble when their women ask them that very same question. It's just, well, girls don't like to be told things like that. Even if they ask you the question. You kind of don't have to tell them the truth when they ask you stuff like that."
J: "I can lie??"
Not-so-DH: "If they ask you that, just say, 'Oh my GOSH!!!' or 'HOLY COW!!!!' (snort, snicker)"
Me: "Don't listen to your Daddy (glaring in DH's general direction). Just tell them 'No', or if C asks you again, just say, 'Ask Mom'. Ok?"

Wow....I didn't think she was old enought to be concerned with her body image. But, I can't be too surprised, I guess. She's among the tallest and oldest in her class. She's got a muscular build, but I really wouldn't call her "fat". Her tummy does pooch out a bit...a teddy bear tummy. She definitely has my build, though, and that scares me. Me, my mom, my aunt and my cousins. We all have the same build. It must be the genes coming through. But, I'm armed with more knowlege than my aunts and mom had. I'm working to find my new body, and I can teach C how to treat her body, so she won't have to worry about finding herself a new body when she's in her 30's.

1 comment:

Shayla said...

Poor kid. At least he's got his twin sister to show him the ropes before he has to deal with "other women". ;)